MVC Immigration Consulting

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) & Work Permits

Vancouver Immigration Consultant

Hiring Temporary Foreign Workers (TFW) in Canada

The Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), a document released by the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), is needed by Canadian employers in order to justify hiring foreign workers. LMIAs go hand-in-hand with Work Permits. In order to get a Work Permit, temporary foreign workers who are interested in working in Canada need to have a temporary full-time job offer from a Canadian employer, supported by a LMIA. The LMIA is usually given for a period of 1 to 2 years and the work permit issued will match that period. If you want to renew your work permit beyond this period, you will likely need a new LMIA. Hiring foreign workers in Canada can be an overwhelming process with many requirements and steps in the process.

MVC Immigration Consulting are experts in working with ESDC and can assist the employer in obtaining the authorization to hire a foreign national. We work with the employer in fulfilling all the requirements needed.

Upon the successful issuance of the LMIA, MVC Immigration Consulting will assist the foreign worker to obtain his or her Work Permit in the fastest way possible. You will require expert guidance in a LMIA application. We invite you to complete a brief assessment linked here, and call us to set up an in-office consultation where we will discuss the specifics of your situation and we will provide you with a solution.


Yes, A Canadian employer must prove to the ESDC that they are capable of hiring a TFW by way of a LMIA. That LMIA will be attached to the TFW’s application for a Work Permit

No. The ESDC looks at a number of factors. Primarily, they will assess the employer’s LMIA application to determine what impact hiring a temporary foreign worker would have on Canada’s job market. 

You should apply as soon as you have a written job offer or employment contract and the LMIA decision letter that your employer received from ESDC.

We will prepare both the LMIA application for ESDC and the Work Permit application and coordinate with both the employer and worker for all the requirements. For employers not familiar with the process, we will explain to them the benefits of hiring a TFW and guide them step-by-step, taking away the stress of this complex process. 

No. These are two different types of work permit. The former ties you to a specific employer based on the LMIA while the latter is an open work permit allowing you to work with any employer.

Learn More

MVC Immigration Consulting is licensed to process applications for all Provinces in Canada.

Contact us today for a free 15-minute immigration consultation!

How to get started? Fill out our assessment form today!


    Please fill out our online assessment form and our team will reach out to you within 48 hours.