MVC Immigration Consulting

Canada Caregiver Program

Immigration Consultant in Vancouver, BC

Canada’s Caregiver Program has changed throughout the years but this immigration pathway remains to be a solid option for those who are interested in either working temporarily or permanently in Canada, as long as you meet the minimum eligibility requirements. This program leads to permanent residency and you can bring your family members with you.

Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot


Two years of full-time work experience in Canada as a home child care provider within the past four years;

A minimum language requirement of “initial intermediate” by meeting Canadian Language Benchmark 5 in a designated third-party language test; and

A Canadian post-secondary education credential of at least one year, or an equivalent foreign credential supported by an Educational Credential Assessment.

Program Highlights:

You must work as a home child care provider or home support worker

You can work for any Canadian employer

Your employer doesn’t need a Labour Market Impact Assessment to hire you

You can change employers without getting a new work permit or a new job offer

Your dependents are eligible to apply for an open work permit or a study permit

What is a Home Child Care Provider?

You must care for children under the age of 18 in your own home or in your employer’s home

You don’t need to live in your employer’s home to qualify

Experience as a foster parent doesn’t count

What is a Home Support Worker?

You must care for someone who needs help from a home support worker either in your own home or in your employer’s home

You don’t need to live in your employer’s home to qualify

Experience as a housekeeper doesn’t count

How it Works:

You apply to either the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot, depending on which occupation you plan to work in.

You submit a work permit application together with your permanent residence application.

If you meet the requirements, you get a work permit to work in Canada temporarily.

The work permit you get is an occupation-restricted open work permit and lets you work as a caregiver for any Canadian employer.

Get at least 24 months of work experience to qualify for permanent residence.

You will gather proof of your work experience once you have enough, which will be included in the application for permanent residence.

Your family members are also eligible to come with you to Canada. If they want to work or study while in Canada, you can include their work or study permit applications with your application.

Minimum Requirements:

Have a genuine and valid job offer

Full-time, which means at least 30 hours of paid work each week

From a Canadian employer

Outside the province of Quebec

From an employer who’s not an embassy, high commission or consulate

Genuine, meaning there’s a real need to hire you

Are able to do the job – includes any past experience or training

Meet the language level - the minimum language skill is CLB 5 in English

Meet the education requirement – foreign education that corresponds to a Canadian post-secondary education credential of at least 1 year

Are admissible to Canada

Plan to live outside the province of Quebec as a permanent resident

At MVC, we will guide you in navigating through the process and maximize your chances of success. If you are an employer seeking to sponsor a Home Child Care Provider or a Home Support Worker Pilot, get in touch with us so we can start the process and work with the applicant directly. For applicants, get assessed today for free to see if you qualify for this program.

Other Immigration Programs

MVC Immigration Consulting is licensed to process applications for all Provinces in Canada.

Contact us today for a free 15-minute immigration consultation!

How to get started? Fill out our assessment form today!


    Please fill out our online assessment form and our team will reach out to you within 48 hours.